I like to wear many hats. This means that not only do I like to travel, go backpacking, walk slacklines, and ride unicycles in places they weren’t meant to go…I also do research as a mechanical engineer in wind energy. In the interest of sharing my research with you, I’ve put together this list of my publications, peer-reviewed conference proceedings, and presented work. I’m working on adding full-texts to all of these references, but it’s a work in progress, so please be patient if a document you are looking for is not available.
I’ve also uploaded my CV here if you would like to read some more about my achievements. Thanks for showing interest in my work!
- Temporal coherence: a model for non-stationarity in natural and simulated wind records. J. M. Rinker, H. P. Gavin, A. Clifton, P. S. Veers, and L. F. Kilcher. Boundary-Layer Meteorology. DOI: 10.1007/s10546-015-0121-x.
- Determining the physical limits on semi-active control performance: a tutorial. P. S. Harvey, H. P. Gavin, J. Scruggs, and J. M. Rinker. Structural Control and Health Monitoring. DOI: 10.1002/stc.1602.
- Enforcing nodes to suppress vibration along a harmonically forced damped Euler-Bernoulli beam. P. D. Cha and J. M. Rinker. Journal of Vibration and Acoustics. DOI: 10.1115/1.4006375.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Proceedings
- Calculating the sensitivity of wind turbine loads to wind inputs using response surfaces. (Poster) J. M. Rinker. The Science of Making Torque from Wind. Munich, Germany. DOI: 10.1088/1742-6596/753/3/032057.
- Subspace identification of a 5 MW reference wind turbine. (Presentation) J. M. Rinker and H. Gavin. 2015 International Modal Analysis Conference. Orlando, Florida. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-15251-6_3.
- Including SN-uncertainty in fatigue reliability analyses of wind turbines. (Presentation) J. M. Rinker and H. Gavin. 2014 International Modal Analysis Conference. Orlando, Florida. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-04552-8_37.
- Tuning TMDs to “fix” floors in MDOF buildings in shear. (Presentation) J. M. Rinker. 2013 International Modal Analysis Conference. Orange County, California. DOI: 10.1007/978-1-4614-6555-3_7. Full-text here.
- Approximating stiffness-proportional damping with a viscoelastic model in explicit finite element analyses. (Presentation) J. M. Rinker. 2012 EMI-PMC. University of Notre Dame, Indiana.
- Model calibration and validation for material damping using finite element analyses. (Presentation) R. Menefee, J. Rinker, P. H. Shin, P. Schembri, & A. Siranosian. 2012 International Modal Analysis Conference. Jacksonville, Florida. DOI: 10.1007/978-1-4614-2425-3_5.
- Temporal coherence in wind simulation and atmospheric data. (Presentation) J. M. Rinker and H. P. Gavin. 2015 Symposium of the North American Wind Energy Academy. Blacksburg, VA.
- Modifying a wind simulator to improve wind turbine design. (Poster) CU Energy Frontiers. March, 2015.
- The effects of wind inputs on wind turbine characteristics. J. M. Rinker. Duke Energy Research Collaboration Workshop. Durham, NC.
- Enforcing nodes to suppress vibration along a harmonically forced damped Euler-Bernoulli beam. (Presentation) P. D. Cha and J. M. Rinker. International Congress on the Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics. Seoul, Korea.